Sunday, August 29, 2010

New Trainer

So Ming is in the midst of getting 3 people ready to fight on September 9th including the tallest guy in camp who is 6'9" (picture below is Derek and Martin, Derek is the tall one).  When you are holding pads for taller people its really hard on your shoulders because you have to hold the pads high. So yesterday Ming asked if I could train with Pot instead of him.  It was interesting.  


The first thing I discovered is that everyone has a different style of holding the pads which means a few things.  Timing was difficult because he does not call out what he wants me to do in the same way and also because he was holding the pads in different positions my aim was all over the place.  When you are working with a trainer for 3 weeks straight you get used to how they move and there is a kind of rhythm in what they are calling out for you to do.  Basically it was like learning all over again.  At the same time Pot had totally different tips for me in terms of  technique and I like the change of pace.  I am not sure if I will be working with him again on Monday or if I will be back with Ming but either way I am still training.


I am leaving on September 7th and I am feeling like I am just starting to learn to move my body right.  A typical day here starts at 7 am with a 5 km run and some wind sprints up the hill at the camp.  A little bit of skipping rope and then some stretching.  You get your hands wrapped up and then do some shadow boxing.  (some dudes are amazing at shadow boxing and it is really fun to watch.  I on the other hand can not think fast enough or know enough combos so I just work on foot position and technique).  Then you do 3 to 5 rounds of hitting the pads with your trainer. At the end you can lift weights, and do sit ups and push ups.  After that is all done you can shower, eat, nap and get ready to do it all over again.  Some sessions you can mix it up a bit with sparing, clinching etc but for the most part there is a set routine.


There has been a lot more sparing as of late because everyone is getting ready for their fights next month.  Teg actually got in the ring yesterday with Derek yesterday and totally dominated him.  Derek got Teg with a few leg kicks but Teg's boxing really was the difference and Derek ate a few huge punches.  Teg still has a bit to work on in terms of cardio but they only did three rounds.  I was really impressed with Teg.  His balance was awesome and he was really thinking about what he was doing in the ring and picked Derek apart.  Teg really has learned a lot.  After watching them I was jazzed about getting in to spar too but then I remembered I am a huge wuss and I think I might table that till the next time I am here.


So I have 6 more days of training to get under my belt and I really want to get the most of this.  I feel like I have been short changed a bit by getting sick and a fat elbow but I actually feel really good now and starting to get my kicks to where they are fast and look a lot more actually Muay Thai kicks instead of huge looping swings.  Ming is constantly telling me "You kick come from America.....Make come from Thailand" I know they are getting better because the other day he said it came from Vietnam.....



No comments:

Post a Comment